by Emily Stearn
Mango Mojito Pancakes (Serves 4)
To combat the traditional British summer rain we’re experiencing at the moment, I’ve got two summery and healthy recipes for you to try. Both include mangoes and limes, which are in season at the moment, are super adaptable, and are perfect for both rain and sun. The first is a foodie twist on the classic mojito (world’s best cocktail) – what’s better than tropical boozy pancakes?
For the Pancakes:
- 100g plain flour
- 2 medium Eggs
- 300ml milk
- Oil for greasing the pan
For the Topping:
- 1 ripe mango
- 4 tbsp. golden rum or apple juice if you’d prefer
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Chopped fresh mint
- Natural or Coconut yogurt to serve (optional)
- Chop mango into small chunks and place them in a heatproof bowl.
- Gently heat rum/apple juice with the sugar in a pan until the sugar has completely dissolved. Pour juice over the mango chunks and set aside to cool.
- Add the flour, a pinch of salt, and eggs into a bowl.
- Whisk the mixture, gradually adding the milk to make a smooth batter.
- Grease a frying pan and add enough batter to thinly coat the pan’s base and cook over a medium heat until the pancake is golden brown. Flip and cook until the other side is, too, golden brown. Repeat for process until the batter is finished.
- Place pancakes on each plate and top with mango chunks, lime juice, chopped mint, and yogurt.
Mango, Spinach, and Feta Salad (Serves 4)
I was initially dubious about the whole fruit in salads thing. Apart from sweet and salty popcorn, I was a firm believer that sweet and savoury should do their own thing, but stick with me on this one. It’s great either as a side dish for a BBQ served with chicken/pork or as a light lunch on its own and it’s super colourful too (always a plus for your insta).
- 1 ripe mango
- Any grain of your choice (I chose a mixture of basmati + wild rice but couscous, brown rice etc. works really well, whatever you have to hand!)
- Roughly 150g of spinach chopped
- 1 punnet of cress
- 1 ripe avocado (what’s an Exonian recipe without an avo?)
- 50g feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime
- Put grain of choice into a pan, cover with boiling water and cook according to packet instructions.
- Peel and cut the mango into chunks.
- Halve an avocado, then slice into small chunks.
- Drain your grain and tip into a serving bowl/platter. Toss with chopped spinach, cress, mango chunks, and avocado.
- Squeeze over lime juice and extra virgin olive oil and mix well.
- Crumble feta over salad mixture and enjoy!