KL Hokkien Mee (It’s a type of chow mien really)
This is one of my favourite dishes ever, it consists of Hokkien noodles braised in thick dark sauce topped of with a variety of sides such as seafood and pork!
INGREDIENTS for one serving (recipe adapted from Simply Her reader Doreen Law)
7 large prawns
1 cup water
2-3 tbsp minced garlic
2-3 tbsp minced shallots
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tbsp sugar
200g Hokkien noodles, soaked for 15min and drained
1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
60g lean pork, thinly sliced
100g choy sim vegetables
2. Place the prawn’s shell (or 1/4 cube of chicken stock), water, 2 tbsp of garlic and 2 tbsp shallots in to a pot. Bring to boil and simmer then set aside)
3. Heat oil over a wok in medium heat, fry the remaining garlic and shallots for 2 minutes.
4. Mix in the dark soya sauce and sugar then add the stock. Bring to boil.
5. Add the noodles. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the light soya sauce.
7. Add the prawns, pork and choy sim. Fry for about 2-3 minutes till all the ingredients are cooked.
By Beverly Wee, Razz Food Correspondent